Monday, January 5, 2009

Stuck at O'Hare

Terminal H, O'Hare Airport, Chicago



I ha
d plenty of time to scope out footwear on my delayed layover in Chicago, and I noticed these kicks right away. The kid who was wearing them looked to be in his early to mid-20s and had casually slung a retro Adidas bag over his left shoulder while he awaited his flight to Newark.



I've always been fascinated with airports, much for the same reason I find the concept of this blog intriguing. With shoes we wonder, what's the story behind them? How long has someone worn them? What made them wake up on this particular day and choose this particular pair? At the airport I'm constantly looking around and observing people. Some are hurried, some walk slowly; some appear annoyed, some sit patiently at their gates; some travel alone, while others are accompanied by their wives or husbands or sisters or mothers or children. Where are they going, and why? Fascinating stuff.

As for this gentleman, I wonder whether New York City is his home. Or perhaps he is a denizen of Chi-town and is heading off for the week to visit friends before his college classes recommence. Or maybe, like myself, he is in between destinations, caught in between a place or a memory he is leaving behind and a new life or challenge that lies ahead. I left him behind without knowing the answer, yet feeling strangely comforted by his presence.

No comments: