Friday, January 23, 2009

D-M-X! If You Want It, We Got It. Come and Get It!

OK Runner, Norman, OK


A big fella strolled into OK Runner one afternoon wearing a pair of the original Reebok DMX shoes. They might have actually been the second generation or color way, but I remember them vividly. When I was in junior high Reebok ran an advertising campaign on this new technology they had invented. It was the company's goal to compete with Nike in the running market at the time of visible air pockets, so Reebok came out with air chambers on the bottom of the shoe. The air was supposed to move through the chambers to provide a more natural transition and overall more comfortable fit. Air that could move? I had to have some. I think I was the first fool in line to buy these guys when I was going through puberty. Such a foolish decision. The shoes sucked. I couldn't tell that the air moved, the shoes were heavy and they rubbed a blister on, what I now know to be, my lateral malleolus. Simply awful.

I still have the original pair, or at least I should if my mom hasn't thrown them out since I've been gone. They probably have only been run in for 50 miles and maybe worn another dozen times. It was surprising to see these old foes on a customer's feet. I'm sure he was happy to put something else on considering the horrible fit the 'boks are known to have. I know the Native American/American Indian looking dude had the shoes for quite some time because he told me so, but I wonder where they were purchased. I'm certain the shoes weren't tucked away in his closet for a decade. My guess is that he bought them at a discount store like DSW or Ross. And, no I'm not making a socioeconomic reference to the dude being Native American/American Indian. If I were I'd being saying something about alcoholism or diabetes. My conjecture is that since the shoes haven't been made in quite some time I suspect that a place like Ross would be one of the few stores to have some in stock. I really need to remember to search for my pair when I'm back home. The DMX 'boks are a classic shoe flop in my book.

No comments: