Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Business on Top, Party on the Bottom

Rising Roll Gourmet, Northside Drive, Atlanta



I stopped in to Rising Roll for a tasty and delicious lunch and spotted these bad boys when I walked in the door. They first caught my eye with their day-glo coloring, and then I quickly noticed they were Mizunos. This intrigued me because, while the shoes were clearly designed for running, this guy was neither dressed athletically nor was particularly built like a runner. He and his two colleagues were sharing a table and discussing a large set of blueprints they'd spread out on top of it. I tried to sneak a peek at what the blueprints were outlining, but didn't want to blow my cover, so I'm left with only the conjecture that they are architects.



If so, why the sporty kicks? Mizuno's US headquarters are located just 20 minutes north of Atlanta in Norcross, so perhaps he purchased them to show loyalty to a local brand? Or maybe he even knows someone who works at the corporate office and snuck him some freebies on the side? Either of these are plausible explanations, but neither explain his affinity for their flashy appearance when the rest of him seemed so professional. Granted, he wasn't dressed in suit and tie, but he did have the pulled-together look of someone who carefully strategizes his appearance. I noticed that one of his companions was also wearing athletic sneaks, but his were Reebok, so there's no connection there. Maybe shoes are his outlet for expressing a funky personal style while making sure the rest of him remains fairly neutral. As I mentioned before, he didn't look especially like a runner (nor did the shoes look worn or dirty), which leads me to believe he only brings them out for the sake of fashion. Whatever the case, any friend of Rising Roll is a friend of mine.

No comments: